Living in the Great Refugee Camp in Iraq


It sounds like you are putting yourself in a lot of danger I mean don't worry it might go wrong seeing you wake up a little bit in the morning.

It is a very strange feeling because it is the comfort I have felt since I was here. I do not know if it is easy every day or if at some level of ignorance.

 I finally accept that this is my new routine and since a man has built a temporary home for himself but has now been relocated to a street.



Where he will build something more solid but to me, it is almost like admitting defeat because of that moment. 

You are defeated and allow yourself to root out the chances of you returning home or finding a home somewhere like Europe or America inevitably.


So far because I live in a place for single boys talking to men in the camp but this morning I was informed 19-year-old lady Fatima who entered six years ago speaks good English.

Where did she learn to speak oh harry potter yeah and Disney Disney films and it helps yes are you married no thank god I am not married yeah I dont like Marie.

No why not because I will read oh yes ok so when you get married you can't go on yes because her husband doesn't want his wife to work and study yes it's okay.


So what do you do uh what do you want to do then if you don't want to get married no you want to study you want to continue studying.


 I want to be a translator yeah yeah you study hard then You are doing well in school, yes and I train yoga ok yes you are a good model, yes yes yes yes Fatima.

Dummies, she's strange families who are struggling financially are increasingly seeing marriage as a way to take care of their daughters.

So what if a 19-year-old girl in the family galaxy Syrian people are traditionally getting married at a young age but there is something shocking.

Get up and go in the number of children’s rights in the refugee community with reports that 12-year-old girls are married my mother knows she is married at 13.

Sorry yes yes 13 yes, that's why you think they are more open to you when you choose when you get married than they pressure you to do it.

Little dad tells me you are married but as you like yes it is good that camp like the miz how do you meet someone on the street sometimes if you see a boy you love how.

Can you approach him how do you know I love him I will just show you how? I love him to show him that you love him oh we can do it well yeah right and after that, he will call my friend and he will give me.

A number like this if you take this paper hey come, bro, yes ok then go give him where good ok I have to go because I have a lesson thank you.

 I will see you soon it is nice to meet you from time to time in this camp you can find frustrated by the horrors of what these people have gone through.

But thinking about anything else seems almost disrespectful but Fatima I think a lot of people like her seem to be just living in this moment of learning and planning for their future.


At some point I think you should start moving on it's a scary wedding day where is the boy, hello I just saw you looking at him.

When the big day is doing well you feel shocked I think I will see you next time you will be at the wedding ok I was able to get me an invitation.

But with full preparations hey I don't want to miss mine welcome you guys, ladies, I am leaving tomorrow camp
earlier in the week I felt that most people here had accepted their faith.

That living here and building houses meant that they would somehow give up but the people here do not give up they are using too much in a bad situation.

When you start thinking about the idea that in your heart you should leave everything you call home and start somewhere else.  

It is very easy to understand when someone says they know I can't do this and then I just give up but I have experienced what I have seen consistently people.

Who has done the exact opposite of being raised in a work environment in the council area to be specific? I know what it means to be in a less demanding environment and surrounded by people.

 Who does their best even though it may be dusty outside their front door? There is pride and that pride is amazing to see I have seen houses built by families.

I have seen businesses set up and there is life here you know there are children here aged five and six. The elders know nothing but this is their home no one here for me feels like.


They have given up is my last night at Fatima camp you look amazing and I was able to get my hands on a great retailer
at home, you can live close to someone for years and not
 I bothered to get acquainted with people on my street, I never did even talk about why we are holding hands and here people help each other with care and give you tea after.

 They have just met you feel welcome in their marriage. What a wonderful, unbelievable married man I think the thing he saw for himself is what it means to be part of the community.

 I keep seeing the face I saw all week than the passers-by serving me food in the shops I met it felt like the whole community came out to celebrate the fight with his new wife.

They have a different history they know what it is like to lose hope and need each other's help and from that comes a wonderful community feeling to be a part of but briefly.

 I was doing this tonight yes I did this party was coming out tonight you missed one where you will get married yeah life here is not easy.

I think life here gets easier year after year but it's not easy living with heat I think it's okay to let the triggers appear on last night's focus even though we don't speak the same language you know, unfortunately. 


 I can't have a full conversation without translating something but I think he knows I am grateful for his help because I felt a little safe knowing that I had found a place every night
going and that made.


It was so easy and the thing that he did not sleep well thank you and ok welcome love your friend oh so much fun I love you too, friend my last day in camp.

 I still can't say for sure he feels comfortable so it's good to know that hazard soon will move to a better place like the one you have prepared yes yes one-two-three.

We go hold on to this you want to hold this very short come and get it is the beginning see this I hope yes yes do you think how long you will stay in this temple to decide.

 If you will build here yes oh when did you decide that uh it is time to stay here is Fatima's father, ok the home that I am in the east part of the camp to meet Fatima and where your makeup looks beautiful, yes I know.

 I think yes I know Welcome to my world, yes I know there
how many sisters do you have seven sisters?

Three brothers little brother big brother yeah right wow so does the whole family lives here yes yes oh man I can't help but think Fatima is surrounded by family is in a better place.

 To deal with the hardships of the camp and someone like her has no one oh Jesus christ or living next door to your loved ones the idea of ​​home can hurt.

 My special place because Syria exists and I smell Syria can smell syrup yes you can see Syria from here let's do it for the first time see it do you remember yes.



How was your city in Syria is a big house yeah a big city in Damascus well what is happening to the foreign one sorry check out Syria then.

You look like you would like not to look I don't know why I don't know but I can't oh look over here instead yes brown I like it this way easy.

Yes yes if you stay long in the dom then you realize more than some kind of limbo refugees here can go home at least not soon and Europe dream dangerous penis than you and princess thank you.

They look good yes thank you most of the people I have met here are stuck seeing my part feel angry about that angry that they may not live the dreams.

They once had but at the same time instead of just abandoning the friends, I made them continue to restore their lives despite their conditions of building a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment